Tuesday, August 10, 2010

First Day

All in all I had a pretty successful first day of school. I really think that even after teaching 30 years I will still get that nervous feeling of having my students come into my classroom for the first time to start our year together. The beginning of the school year is so exciting, but incredibly draining. I have been quickly reminded of the struggles of being a working parent. I feel like I have been run over by a truck. Overall, I think I have a sweet class and I'm excited to get to know them better. I already miss my class from last year like crazy though.

Story of the day:
We were completing an "All About Me" web. I was walking about talking to the students about what they were writing...

Me: Wow, you have four rabbits!
J: Yes, but I used to have 6.
Me: I'm so sorry (assuming that they died)
J: Yeah, we had to give them away so that they couldn't get married and have babies.
Me: Yeah, that was probably a good choice.

Children make me laugh.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love stories like that! Every year I tell myself I'm going to start writing down some of the funny things they tell me, but I never get around to it. I'm glad you had a great first day back. Mine is tomorrow!